Archive

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

AUSTRALIANS DRIVE ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ROAD!


It's the 3rd week of school now, and I've comfortably settled into my classes.  The system is much different here, and I have much less class time than I am used to at Northwestern.  But less class time just means I have to put in plenty of time outside the classroom so I understand the material.  My class schedule looks like this:

1.  Engineering Site Characterisation
2.  Structural Theory and Design II
3.  High Rise Structures
4.  Australia NOW

I like all of my classes so far, but I really haven't had a lot of assignments due.  But just like in the US the workload for engineers seems to be a little more than the workload for other majors.

As for social activities on campus I've come to the conclusion that the campus is really only active during the work week since most students are commuter students.  This is good because I can avoid a wait for a school computer at the computer lab by going in the evening, but it is a little disconcerting that most libraries close at 11PM and only a few are open till midnight. 

Footy practice was a failure.  It turns out the "club" teams here are more like varsity teams in the US.  But, being a foreigner I didn't know that.  I hustled to the footy field with my fellow American friend only to be politely informed in front of a locker room full of 30 meatheads that the club team is not for beginners or for recreation.  Message taken!

However I've found other clubs on campus and have joined the mountaineering club, which does a lot of camping, rock climbing, kayaking and other outdoorsy things.  It is a large club and they usually have interest from enough people to go on multiple excursion every weekend.  I've signed up for a "beginners" rock climbing trip on the 23rd of March, but I don't remember where exactly it is.  I've been able to practice rock climbing indoors and really enjoying it and hope to continue to get better.  Contrary to popular belief rock climbing is very safe as long as you know what you are doing and trust the person belaying you from below.  I think I may have found a new hobby.

This past weekend I booked a car with four other friends and we set out for 3 days to experience The Great Ocean Road.  The Great Ocean Road is a scenic highway that is similar to Highway 1 in California but with an Australian flair.  We stayed in hostels for the two nights, and some sights we visited were:

1.  Belles Beach (home of the Rip Curl surfing competition)
2. 12 Apostles
3.  Gibson's Steps
4.  Melba Gully State Park
5. Otway Lighthouse
6.  Port Fairy Music Festival (think Crocodile Dundee + accordions and you have a pretty good idea what it was like)

We also saw plenty of small beaches and went on tons of hikes.  More importantly I learned how to drive a car with the steering wheel on the opposite side of the car on the left side of the road.  It takes some getting use to but I was aided along the road with multiple sign stating, "AUSTRALIANS DRIVE ON THE LEFT".  The Great Ocean Road is very touristic.  But by the end of the trip we were exhausted and tired of each other. 

Fun Facts:

1.  Rednecks=bogans
2.  Melbourne as a city has tons and tons of Asians.  Couple Asians with the Melbourne hipster urban style and you have an odd combination.  Think skinny jean with 2 inch heels for guys.
3.  Most college students work at the same time they study.  Also they don't pay for college until they have secured a full-time job and then a portion of their paycheck goes to the university to pay for tuition.
4.  It's $4 for the washing machine.  Detergent not included.
5.  Prime Minister of Australia is Julia Gillard.  She is unmarried, lives with male companion, has no kids and is an atheist.  
6.  Calling someone a wanker is like calling someone a douchebag.
7.  Australia's standard copy paper size is narrower and longer than the standard copy paper in the US.  I can't fit anything I print out in my folders.

Here are some photos finally!

Picnic at Princes Park.  I'm eating grapes like it's my job.


Neutrino in the Botanical Gardens.  Also last know whereabouts of my sunglasses.





Surfing with friends.  We are all new at this.

Triplet falls in Otway National Park along The Great Ocean Road.

Me standing next to a giant tree in Otway National Park.

Triplet Falls.  A little anticlimatic.



Beach near 12 Apostles.

Two of the eight remaining Apostles.  They topple over due to the constant bombardment by the waves.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Clayton! Love the blog! Love the photos! Sounds like you're getting along OK. Printed off your entries so far so Mom could read and absorb:) She is doing well. We are well, too, as we have an early spring REALLY ! Don's garden is so colorful he's got hundreds of plants up and flowers blooming.
    Thanks for doing the blog - know it will save a lot of emailing separate people, but it's a great way to keep everyone updated! Love & hugs, Liz & Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz and Don!

    I was just wondering if you were able to access the blog. I guess you can! Thanks for setting up Grandma with it too as it saves me a lot of time emailing specific people.

    I missed the mildest winter ever! 80 degrees in Chicago too! I hope the garden is spectacular this year as alway.

    Loving Australia but missing home,

    Clayton

    ReplyDelete